Here is another go at 3D printing the flying saucer attack on our nation's capitol as seen in Ray Harryhausen's sci-fi classic “Earth vs The Flying Saucers” (1956). As you can see, it is roughly five times larger than my original version (seen elsewhere on this site) which illustrates the versatility of using a 3D printer.
Another change (aside from making it bigger) was that I used my resin printer to make the saucer which provided a much smoother finish and sharper detail than a regular filament printer can provide.
The monument itself had some battle damage due to the collision of a disabled saucer flying into it but, me being me, I decided that more damage would make a more interesting scene. So I broke out my trusty motor tool and began hacking away at the structure taking care that I would be ending up with pieces that looked like broken masonry. As it turned out, it broke into two which was my goal.
I inserted a stiff wire into each end of the monument which gave me some versatility in determining how far I wanted the top section to tilt which ended up being roughly 40 degrees off the perpendicular. I secured the wire with two part five minute epoxy adhesive and disguised it with light gray paint.
Once the monument was secured and painted, I discovered that it has a tendency to tip over due to the increased tilt angle so I had to come up with a broader base to address the issue. Thankfully, I found a discarded base from another kit that filled the bill quite nicely. I glued the monument to the new base and built it up a bit with Sculpt-a-mold to make a smoother transition between the two. I didn't have the skill or patience to surround the circular base with miniature flags so just painted it green and let it go at that. I painted the monument a medium gray and the saucer a greenish gray which gave it an alien appearance. 8/1/22
18.07 | 20:43
Speechless, And I am really speechless.
Incredible work. I am glad we could provide you with a grail
11.07 | 11:41
Great job down to the last detail!
10.07 | 16:36
Thank you, Addis, I estimate it took me around 100 hours to complete.
10.07 | 12:24
Terrific work...must've taken quite a while for you to complete...very good detail!!